The Legio Audax (“Ember Wolves”) is a Traitor Titan Legion of the Dark Mechanicum that reneged its oaths to the Emperor and followed the Warmaster Horus into the service of the Ruinous Powers during the Horus Heresy.
As part of a personal project working on an Audax Legio with my wife, I needed to find an easy to repeat technique that my wife could use to reproduce the deep mottled red/black style of the Audax armour. After some experimentation on spare armour panels, we settled on this.
- Undercoat with Vallejo Black Primer
- Trim – Vallejo Mecha Gold / Old Gold
- Panel – Citadel Abbadon Black
- Very lightly stipple armour panel with Vallejo Metallic Chrome
- Add a second, slightly heavier stipple of Vallejo Metallic Chrome towards the centre and any raised areas of the panel.
- Apply 2 thin coats (approx 2:1) of Citadel Blood Angels Red Contrast
- Add a recess wash of Citadel Black Ink to the Armour trim
- Apply 2-3 coats of Vallejo Gloss varnish, taking care to avoid leaving brush strokes. If possible, use an airbrush to ensure a smooth finish)
- Vallejo Black Primer
- Vallejo Mecha Gold / Old Gold
- Citadel Abbadon Black
- Vallejo Metallic Air Chrome
- Citadel Blood Angels Red (Contrast)
- Citadel Black Ink
- Vallejo Gloss Varnish